11/19/2018 Earth Company’s new eco hotel in Ubud, Bali is scheduled to open in May 2019!
We are ecstatic to announce that Earth Company will open a new eco hotel in Ubud, Bali in May 2019!
Consisting of earth-bag domes on a beautiful plot of land surrounded by rice paddies, our new eco boutique hotel – which we are calling “Earthly Paradise” for now – is already under construction.
Why an eco-hotel?
An eco-friendly, social and organic facility that embodies our core values, this hotel is, in fact, very closely related to our core mission to support change-makers in the Asia Pacific. The profits generated through our hotel will go towards our activities supporting change-makers.
It will also be a testing ground for innovative new eco-technologies that have the potential to reduce our impact as humans on the environment around us. And it will also be a place for people to experience our vision and belief that ‘social’ and ‘eco’ doesn’t have to mean ‘inconvenient’ or be a ’struggle’. It can be an exciting and positive lifestyle choice.
Whilst our ‘soft’ opening is schedule for May 2019, below is a sneak preview into what we have in store!
Earthly Paradise is an eco boutique hotel
1. Tri Hita Karana: the Balinese worldview
- Harmony with Nature
- Harmony with the Gods
- Harmony among People
2. Manifestation of Earth Company’s values & vision for the future:
✔ social, ✔ ecological, ✔ local, ✔ organic, ✔ plastic free, ✔ inclusive, ✔ innovative, ✔ sustainable, ✔ spiritual, etc…
3. Testing ground for innovative technologies that will change our future
Six Core Features for a Sustainable Future
Single (3), Single Deluxe (1), Family (1), Dormitory (2)
[maximum capacity 33pax]
- Organic Restaurant (fits 30 people)
- Plastic Free Store
- Yoga Shala
- Permaculture Garden
8 Earth Bag Houses
8 earth bag houses – the epitome of eco-architecture.
- Slow heat transfer
- Total capacity = 33 people (inc dorms & family rooms)
Probiotic Café – Awakening Food
- Food as medicine
- Organic, no MSG
- Non-F1 heirloom seeds used
- No microwave!
- Accommodates 30 people
By 2050, our ocean will have more plastic waste than fish.
In our store, we only sell products that are:
- Plastic package free
- Organic and MSG free
- Locally produced
- Ethically made
- Socially minded
At the center of the Tri Hita Karana motif is a Yoga Shala that sits on a lotus pond.
- Can be used for yoga, workshops, and for relaxation.
- Can fit up to 10 pax for Yoga and 30 pax for workshops.
- The pond sits in the middle of the waterways scattered throughout the land to prevent it from flooding in the rainy seasons.
Children are the future. Children are most welcome at Earthly Paradise.
- This is an inclusive community where local kids and foreign kids can come together.
- It’s a place where kids can just be kids and enjoy while grownups do grown- up things (!) like work or relax with a cup of coffee at the restaurant.
Permaculture is a system of agricultural and social design principles in harmony with the natural ecosystem
- Entirely organic – no pesticide, no chemical fertilizer
- Compost made from food waste from the restaurant
- Urine harvested from the public toilets used to fertilize the soil
2 examples of eco-technology we plan to introduce!
1.Using innovative earth bag house technology
The simple but effective earth bag construction method was developed in California, US about 20 years ago.
It is a very simple solution that combines soil, sandbags and barbed wire, that can be learnt quickly and implemented quickly and cheaply. However, the construction style is also extremely durable and buildings are expected to last up to 100 years. The 40 cm thick walls keep the inside cool during the day and warm at night. The earth bag house has been introduced to refugee camps by the UN, and NASA is also considering it as an option for developing in space!
2. Smart energy and waste management
In order to minimise our footprint on the environment, 100% of the lighting used at the facility will be powered by solar panels, and the water we use will be supplied by rainwater we harvest. The wastewater will be filtered and reused to grow plants and flowers, food waste turned into compost, and trash up-cycled and recycled as much as possible.
Earthly Paradise will be a testing ground for us to experiment with cutting-edge eco-technologies and verify their ease of use, effectiveness, convenience etc.
When can I visit?!